Sunday, November 09, 2014

Birth Mom Photo a Day 9: Support

Day 9: Support

This one is easy and so appropriate since I am on my way home from a Birth Mother Retreat.  My family has always been and always will be my greatest support system.  My mom and grandma were there when she was born.  My dad and sister were there shortly after.  My Grandma held my hand and hugged me on placement day then drove me to her house where I slept for 2 days straight.  She was my saving grace during that time. 

I wish I could say I had a lot fellow birth mother support after placement, but I didn't know it existed. I found support in my friends and family, in the best way they knew how but I didn't know I needed support then.  Not many knew my story, and I rarely shared it.  In the last couple years though, I have discovered an amazing support system of birth mothers who have helped me realize that what I have felt after reunification is normal and ok. As I become more open and share my story, I feel like I am becoming a magnet for support.  My oppenness is encouraging them to also be more open and know that I am ok and I WANT to talk about it. My family is always there when I need them, but a special bond has grown with these ladies that can fully understand my heart without explanation.  


No comments: