Saturday, November 08, 2014

Birth Mom Photo a Day 8: Adoptive Parents

Day 8: Adoptive Parents

After giving some basic guidelines for preference (ie race, religion, number of kids at home) I was given some files of families to make a selection from.  I don't recall a whole lot of details from that time, but I do remember that it took me a couple weeks to scour through the files and consider each detail about the people whose lives I was peaking into and trying to imagine handing my child over to.  It struck me hard to know that I held in my hand all these families that were equally as hopeful for a child to come to their family.  My choice would make a major difference in the life of my child AND whatever family I chose.  I always felt good about my final choice.  When I met I them I realized that she and I looked like we could be sisters and they were both so kind and so grateful.  

Since my adoption was closed I knew very few details about the personal experience of the parents I chose.  I only ever knew what I felt and experienced on the day of her placement. I wasn't ever able to hear THEIR story until being reunited.  Since having heard that story  I have gained a new appreciation for the joy they were experiencing on what was one of the most painful days of my life.  I learned that our pain was equal.  I had lost a child by my own choice, but her struggle with infertility was never something she had chosen and on that day she gained the realization of a life long dream.  I'm so grateful for the example of strength and love that they are to me and for being in the right place at the right time.  





No comments: