Thursday, November 20, 2014

Birth Mom Photo a Day 20: Turning Point

Day 20: {Turning Point}
One of the biggest turning points in my story is when it became time to tell the rest of my family that I would soon be reunited with my birth daughter, many of which didn't know about her at all. It was about this time of year in 2012 that it I finally shared this part of my life openly with my brother and sister in-laws. That is basically what started the reality that she was going to be part of my life from then on and “stuff” got real for me. It was really new at that time and I still had no idea when any of them would actually get to meet her in the flesh, but I needed to get it out there and make sure they knew that this invisible member of our family was going to become a little more visible at some point.
I didn’t actually tell my kids anything until I knew for certain when I would be meeting her. I do wish that I had told them previously that they had a sister but I never really knew how to do it. Knowing I would meet her soon made it the right time. Braiden was first and 13 at the time. At first he thought I was playing a mean joke on him when I handed him her picture and asked if he had any idea who it could be. When I told him and he finally decided that I wasn’t making it up, he instantly wanted to send her a friend request on Facebook. That very night they started chatting and the first thing he said to her was something like “Hey, so you are my big sister?” while he had big tears rolling down his face. Then I knew he would be ok with it. That was when I realized that everyone was going to be ok with this new thing. Why had I worried for so long needlessly? Talk about turning points…


No comments: