Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Birth Mom Photo a Day 25: Favorite Memory

Day 25: {Favorite Memory}

Some of my favorite memories were on days when I would receive a packet of pictures and a letter from my birth daughters family the first year after placement. I was living in an apartment with roommates my freshman year at college. The envelope always came from LDS Family Services so when one would arrive in the mail, my roommates, all of whom had become familiar with my experience in the previous few months and knew what that packet meant, would be so happy and excited for me and we would gather around while I opened it and they would look at her pictures and share some pretty precious moments just talking about her and about what she must be like. They would hug me and love me and try to be supportive in the best way they possibly could. I really appreciate that now.  Those were the moments when I could proudly talk about what I had experienced and not feel like I had to hide it. As time went on and I no longer got pictures, I had a much harder time feeling like I could share openly or even show people pictures of her. It was easier to just not. I am so grateful for the encouragement and the opportunity I have had to openly share my story now.

Another of my favorite memories was the day that I received the next envelope from Family Services in October of 2012. I almost passed out when I saw it because it was from out of nowhere.  I was not expecting it. When I opened the envelope, this picture fell out onto my lap and I just lost it.  I knew who it was.  There was no question in my mind.  It took me a few minutes to regain my composure before I could even start to read the letter that was included.  It was from her mom.  The feeling of elation and joy that day was indescribable.  It was a life-changing moment.  I loved that day and the days and weeks that followed when we began to communicate through email and get reacquainted.  



No comments: