Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Apparently I am the fool...



As you know, last Friday was April 1st and, therefore April Fool's Day.  It started out as a normal day for me.  I took the day off of work as we had friends coming into town and I had some serious work to do on our house. 

It was a quiet morning.  Then the clock stuck 11am and bam!  My cell phone started ringing over and over and over and over and...you get the point.  I didn't recognize the numbers so naturally I didn't answer at first, but by the 5th caller, I had to find out what was going on.  I answered:

Me:  hello?
Lady:  Hi, i am calling about your elliptical.  Is it still available or is this an April Fools joke
Me:  (confused) OH!  I didn't know that my husband had listed the elliptical but yes we still have it.
Lady: Can I come get it?
Me:  Sure. (still so confused)

I hung up assuming Eric had just listed the elliptical machine without telling me and figured the price must have been really good or something.  I was, admittedly, a little annoyed as I was thinking "Why did he list it that low and why did he put my cell number on there??"  I called Eric at work and told him what had happened.  He was completely confused because he said he listed it for $150 (seemed reasonable) and he had listed his number not mine.  My phone continued to ring and a started receiving texts: "Do you still have your elliptical?"  "Can I come pick up your elliptical?", etc, etc.  I finally replied to a text:  "Sorry. Its sold".  Reply:  "Was it really free or is this a joke?"  WHAT??  I was so confused. 

I decided to get on KSL and find out what was going on with this ad.  Since Facebook is my homepage, it opened for me to see a post from my beloved bro-in-law.  "Anyone know where I can find a Free Riding Lawnmower, Pool Table, Elliptical , BBQ, or baby jogger, or Jazz/Laker tickets ?? I have been looking ALL day."  WHAT IS GOING ON HERE??  I call my sister, explain my woes and confusion of the day and ask if she knows whats going on here.  After a little sad lying and meager "I have no idea"...she admits it!  I have been DOOPED!!!  The victim of a very ruthless prank.

Ashton, my dearest brother-in-law, thought it would be HILARIOUS if he listed a bunch of fake stuff in the local classifieds and put various people's numbers on the ads...including mine!  Little did he know that I really had an elliptical machine that I really was listing....OH CRAP!  I have someone on their way here to pick up this elliptical and she thinks its FREE!!!  Ashton must DIE!

At this point my phone was still ringing and dinging with calls and texts and there was no way I would figure out the ladies number in time.  DING-DONG!  There she was with her huge husband and truck, ready to take the FREE elliptical off my hands. 

I had to shamefully explain the RUDE joke played on me and explain that they were also victims of this unfortunate series of events.   Needless to say, THEY WERE NOT AMUSED...and they know where I live.

The moral of this story is...if you have a rude brother-in-law that has no fear or shame and loves to play jokes on the innocent and unsuspecting...don't let him have your cell phone number!

HAPPY APRIL FOOLS DAY!

1 comment:

Leah said...

Amy that is horrible!