Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Adios to my favorite calories...for now.

I am now 30 weeks pregnant (3/4 of the way, 75% done, mostly baked, however you want to put it)!  Its reason to celebrate for sure as I am on the "homeward stretch" as they say. 

How am I feeling, you ask?  Do you want the truth or the watered-down version of the truth that I feed every person that asks me with a big smile on my face.  "Feeling good!", "Taking a day at a time.", "Slowly but surely", and so on and so forth.  I try so hard to appear positive and upbeat and grateful for the miracle that is occurring in my womb, but they know I am lying.  I cant hide it.

The truth is I am so glad to almost be done.  I need to be done.  I feel icky, not myself, cranky, tired, swollen, annoyed, stressed, and so on an so forth.  Dang, if only there were another way to get them here,  I might have 8 kids!  I love babies, just don't love having them invade my body.  I need my personal SPACE!

SO ANYWAYS...last week I had to take a 3 hour glucose tolerance test since my 1 hour test was elevated.  If you aren't familiar with the 3 hour GTT let me elaborate:
You fast for 8-12 hours, get you blood drawn, drink a solution that contains 100 gms of glucose.  If you want to know what that tastes like, put 2 cups of sugar in a Sunkist Orange Soda and then gulp the entire thing down in 1 minute.  Ugh!  Then wait and hour, get your blood drawn, wait an hour, get your blood drawn, wait another hour, get your blood drawn.  So in the end, you get 4 needle sticks, have to starve and sit there and try not to vomit up the orange death or you will have to START OVER!  No way.  A migraine and near black-out were on the menu for that day.

That was last week.  I got the results online this week and saw that they were a bit elevated so now that's all my nurse brain can think about.  I have been avoiding all sugar, watching carbs and trying to be a bit more active after having scoured the Internet to find all the effects of Gestational Diabetes. I am not sure these hips can birth a 12 lb baby.

This time of year it is especially torturous when my FAVORITE candies are readily available and staring at me from all corners. Never mind the fat and calories that these little babies contain that would, under usual circumstances, cost me 7 miles on the treadmill. These will cause a certain glucose spike!

 
Oh how I love Cadbury Mini Eggs....and you may be surprised to know that I am a candy snob.  I don't waste calories on just any candy.  It has to be WORTH IT and these little beauties are worth it by the handful!

MMMMMM.  Doesn't  that look good?

There is an upside:  I don't have to feel bad or weird about about the fact that I think I am the only person in the world that hates these:


I HATE PEEPS!  These might possibly be the vilest things ever made.  I shudder at the thought.


1 comment:

Jamie said...

My favorite all time treat is a cadbury egg!!! I am sorry that last part is a killer. Man I am glad that I am done but you are so lucky to be having another little one!!