Sunday, September 11, 2011

Thoughts about today. September 11th

Where were you 10 years ago today, on 9/11/2001?  Braiden was 2 years old.  I was already at work as I started early in the morning back then.  A co-worker came running into the main area where everyone was and told us to turn up the radio to hear about the terrorist attacks in New York.  We listened while we worked but soon everyone stopped working and was gathered around the radio listening intently while the scary events ensued.  We ended up closing early and sending everyone home to be with their families.  It was a surreal day.  I remember it was hard to grasp that it was really happening and that it could mean that our country would soon be at war...and what would happen next?  Where would another surprise attack happen?  In our backyard?  For a few short moments I remember feeling vulnerable in this country in which I had always taken my safety and security for granted.  That feeling didn't last long as I saw how people came together to mourn and vowed that we would only stand stronger than before and never let some cowardly terrorists tear us down.

Eric and I took our kids to The Healing Field today.  Its a memorial that consisted of an American Flag standing for each of the victims of 9/11 (each with their names and a short biography).  Paige asked me what this was and why the flags were there so I attempted to tell her a little about what happened that day (as best as I could for a 6 year old to understand).  Of course there is no way that her innocent little mind could comprehend the horrific nature of those events but I hope that by taking them there, they will remember the American Flags and why we are so blessed to live in this country.

God Bless this beautiful country, America.








Oh! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand

Between their loved home and the war's desolation!

Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land

Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.

Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,

... And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."

And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave

O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

No comments: