Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Dedicated to a Cause...


So those of you who know me well know that I have a passion for supporting Breast Cancer Awareness. I don't know if its some fortelling of a future trial that I or someone close to me will have to endure or if its that I just love the color pink. Maybe that's why I am a Mary Kay consultant too! But seriously, the chances that I or someone close to me will have breast cancer are so incredibly high that I feel a real serious duty to do my part to support the cause. And actually a good friend and coworker of mine was recently diagnosed with Breast Cancer and just started her chemotherapy. You can read her story here. So I tell you that I am a sucker for anything that has a pink ribbon on it. If its to raise money for Breast Cancer, I am all over it.

So anyway, for that purpose I am organizing a team to participate in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure to be held in downtown SLC on May 10th. It has been named "HCI's Pride for Pink" which is so fitting for the fact that I love the color pink and am more than proud of it. The main people on my team are my coworkers in honor of Rebecca but we are opening it up for anyone to join. If you are interested in joining or just donating go to our team fundraising page here. My whole family will be participating. I am so excited. This will be the coolest experience. I actually did this 2 years ago and it was a really neat to see all the people with names on their shirts and the "survivors". And many who were bald and probably currently undergoing treatment but determined to reach the finish line. Its so symbolic of the difficult journey that people who receive the devastating news of the word "cancer" go through.


I found out the 75% of the money raised in local events goes to the local cancer treament and research centers and 25% is for the American Cancer Society. I cannot believe how excited and willing to participate people are so far. What a neat thing to be able to show our love and support to a friend who is fighting for her life.


I am so grateful for my health right now and for that of my children and my family. But if any of us should ever have to deal with anything like this in the future, I am grateful for good friends and family who I know would love support me through any trial.

5 comments:

Devri said...

I think you are a wonderful person, for us, cancer hits home very strongly becuase of Maka. I wish I could come out and help you, but I am due on April 15, and probably wouldn't be a great idea, or maybe it would.:D I will keep your friend in our prayers, and keep up your work. you go girl!!!!

The West Family Circus said...

I am definitely in. I was going to do it anyway but am too lazy to set up a team. Funny huh? I am willing to run (briskly walk) an entire morning away but I can't set up a team?

Whitney Parry said...

I kinda wanna do this.. how do I get registered or sign up?

Rebecca said...

Hey, you! You are an amazing woman and I am so touched by your blog and the time and effort you put forth to support breast cancer awareness, research, and...wow...even me! Thank you, Amy. You are an incredible woman and I greatly appreciate your friendship, kindness and support. xo Rebecca
You rock!

Rebecca said...

Just so you know --- I don't know why my post is preceded with "The Family" title.. That's funny. I'll have to ask Shelby why its doing that on your blog. :)RC