Sunday, January 27, 2008

God Be With You Till We Meet Again...

About 5 minutes ago, Braiden came running up the stairs yelling "Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, mom, mom! President Hinckley passed away!" I wanted to record the feelings that I am experiencing now here since I am afraid I will forget. Officials announced that President Gordon B Hinckley passed away tonight at 7pm in his home surrounded by his family.
Isn't it funny how you can feel such love and respect for someone that you never met? President Hinckley has been prophet of the LDS church for 13 years and really for the bulk of my adult life. I have always loved his funny sense of humor and his special way of conveying important messages to the people of this church and others, for that matter. Even if I didn't catch all of Conference, I always made sure to hear him speak.

Just today, in sacrament meeting, the topic was prophets. A part of her talk especially hit me where she said that while preparing for her talk, she was searching earnestly for the perfect scripture or quote or story to convey her message about prophets. But she realized in looking at an issue of the Ensign with his picture on the front that her favorite thing about President Hinckley was simply his smile. She loved to see his smile because she knew that his smile was the Lord's smile and that he was the Lord's mouthpiece in this day.
Although I am saddened to hear of his passing, I smile when I think of his happiness in greeting his loved ones on the other side and though I never met him, I will look forward to the day that I will in another life. I am grateful for the time that he was here and he was such a strong infuence in my life. His voice is the one that my children recognize as the prophet's. That is priceless. I know that his work here was finished so the Lord took him home to be reunited with his wife and other prophets that had gone before him.
Goodbye President Hinckley. We love you.


1 comment:

Brenda said...

Well said. I just can't cry, I'm too happy for him. I will miss him though.